Materials for making furniture
The attractiveness, aesthetics and reliability of any furniture is determined by the material from which it is made. In addition to classic wood, artificial wood and synthetic materials are used, which visually do not differ from natural ones, but will cost less and last much longer.
Types of materials used to make furniture
Solid wood remains the most popular material for making furniture. Wood products are so strong that they can serve for more than one decade. For example, furniture made of oak or beech can be inherited almost in its original form.
Softer wood (pine, larch) is used in the production of furniture in the middle price range. The unique design of the wood defines the beauty of the finished product. Therefore, spruce or birch panels are additionally processed to imitate more valuable species.
Artificial wood materials include:
- chipboard (chipboard). Chipboard is obtained by pressing a mass of shavings and synthetic resins. Finished panels are laminated with a film, and PVC is glued to the ends or an aluminum profile is attached;
- fiberboard (fiberboard). Manufacturing technology is the same as for fiberboard. However, fiberboard is less durable, therefore it is used for the manufacture of boxes or back walls;
- compressed wood dust board (MDF). Contains up to 10% resins, therefore it is more environmentally friendly. From above it is processed with film or plastics, lends itself to staining. Suitable for creating curved facades and imitating carvings.
Acrylic furniture is gaining popularity. Such products are strong and resistant to mechanical damage. A wide color palette allows you to choose acrylic furniture for any interior, from minimalism to pop art or futurism.
Materials for the manufacture of cabinet furniture
For the manufacture of the main elements and the frame, materials are often used that can withstand a significant load (wood or metal). The frame is faced with a decorative facade, which determines the appearance and durability of the furniture.
Solid wood furniture remains an ageless classic, but has a high price compared to other materials. More affordable will be MDF, which is resistant to mechanical damage, abrasion and does not require special care. Shiny acrylic, which has good wear resistance characteristics, looks advantageous. The budget options include fiberboard.
Much attention is paid to fittings, which, in addition to aesthetic properties, bear a certain load during operation. Metal and wood are considered more reliable, which are used to make legs and a frame. Decorative elements can be made from any material, taking into account the style and price range.
Examples of materials for making upholstered furniture
When choosing upholstered furniture, first of all, pay attention to the facing fabric. Most often it is natural or artificial leather, as well as textiles.
Genuine leather looks presentable and reliable, but it is not always convenient as a product for the home due to its ability to condense moisture. Modern artificial materials of eco-leather, vinyl-leather, visually and to the touch indistinguishable from natural, are good for air and moisture permeability.
Textiles are especially popular. All-natural fabrics are used less often than blended or synthetic fabrics.
However, natural materials are more comfortable to use:
- have good breathability;
- do not cause allergies;
- environmentally friendly.
The disadvantages of natural upholstery include a higher price and low abrasion resistance.
Blended fiber, synthetic and nonwoven fabrics are more common. After additional processing, they acquire dirt and water repellent properties, are easy to clean and durable enough.
- furniture vinyl;
The frame for upholstered furniture is made of wood or plywood, less often of chipboard.
Used as elastic materials:
- spring blocks;
- vulcanized natural rubber;
- gummed fiber (in this technology, horsehair or seaweed is treated with latex and then vulcanized).
For economy class products, cheaper synthetic materials (foam rubber, polyurethane foam, cellular plastics, foam rubber) are used.
Materials for making kitchen furniture
Cabinet and front furniture is made of solid wood, MDF, fiberboard or chipboard in plastic or laminate. Natural or artificial stone is suitable for countertops. For exclusive kitchen sets, the kitchen sink and various work surfaces, including the window sill, are also made of stone.
As accessories are used:
- stainless steel;
Handles made of brass, which is considered a classic kitchen material, look elegant.
Companies manufacturing materials for furniture
Among Russian companies there are well-known manufacturers of materials for furniture:
Quality upholstery fabric for upholstered furniture is produced by:
Moscow Weaving and Finishing Plant, Krasnaya Nit OJSC, Uzor OJSC, Sarteks OJSC - these enterprises offer tapestries, jacquard fabrics, plushies;
JSC Cloth Factory "Spartak", JSC "Ariadna", JSC "Murmansk Cloth Factory", JSC "Nevskaya Manufactory", JSC "Krasnoslobodskaya Cloth Factory", JSC "Glushkovskaya Cloth Factory", JSC "Rumyantsevskaya Textile Factory", JSC "Bashkir Cloth Factory", JSC "Balashikhinsky Textile" - produce furniture fabrics based on wool.
CJSC "Murom", TVC Potatushkin, "Kronostar" offer plywood, chipboard, fiberboard, MDF.
Accessories are produced by: OOO Zaglushka.RU, Okulovsky Furniture Accessories Plant, Izhevsk Furniture Accessories Plant FMS.
High-quality and practical upholstery materials for furniture guarantee a long service life of the product.
In addition, everyone who wants to purchase upholstered furniture strives to choose something original with a spectacular and stylish design solution. And this is really correct.
Furniture in your own home, like nothing else, is able to demonstrate the status of the owner, to show his impeccable taste.
Upholstery material also comes to the rescue when there is no need or opportunity to purchase completely new products. In this case, you can simply carry out high-quality restoration of old ones.
Puzzled by the question of choosing new interior items that embody sophistication, comfort, coziness, you should give preference to such furniture that will perfectly complement the existing design.
Examples of upholstery materials on the market today
The demand in the specialized furniture market is quite large, and the supply is even greater. In order to adequately compete with companies conducting similar activities, it is important to offer the consumer furniture that varies in:
- materials used.
In order to win their customers, manufacturers from year to year replenish their assortment and offer all kinds of fabrics for upholstered furniture.
It is important that the material is:
- attractive in appearance;
- fire resistant;
- not prone to burnout.
Based on the list of personal requests and requirements, you can choose exactly the upholstery that will best meet all the requirements.
Categories of upholstery materials
Upholstery fabric can be classified into categories such as price, quality, appearance, performance. Depending on how dense the material is and what its cost, the higher its category.
Today the lineup is full. Furniture made in a similar design can look completely different due to the fact that materials of different categories have been used for the upholstery.
It is necessary to dwell in more detail and understand what the main fabrics are that are most often used for upholstery and are most in demand by the consumer.
- Velor. The silky texture conquers. The color gamut is very wide, which is an advantage. The composition includes both natural and artificial fibers. The material conquers with its softness, while it is absolutely non-toxic. The disadvantage of such upholstery is that it is a rather whimsical fabric, its service life can hardly be called long, the material is prone to abrasion.
- Scotchguard - made from natural fibers. The material lends itself well to cleaning, does not fade. Often, furniture with such upholstery is installed in bedrooms, living rooms and even bathrooms, because the fabric is resistant to moisture.
- Flock. Fine pile fabric. Its base can be made of cotton, polyester, satin, etc. The advantage of upholstery lies in its resistance to mechanical damage and all kinds of dirt. Today it is presented on the market with a wide range of colors and patterns.
- Jacquard is an upholstery fabric for furniture, renowned for its aesthetically pleasing appearance. This is a fairly dense material that is obtained through tight binding of threads. Accordingly, jacquard is renowned for its longevity. The material does not fade, it is easy to clean. Interior items in such upholstery look very impressive.
- Thermohackard is a relatively recent discovery in the world of cladding materials. Modern technology in collaboration with classical techniques has resulted in this unrivaled material. Like its progenitor (jacquard), this fabric has all the characteristics.
- Shannil. Synthetic and semi-synthetic yarns are used for production. The main advantage of the material lies in the ability not to absorb extraneous odors. This upholstery, which is deservedly ranked among the most durable. Today there is an extensive selection of patterns and color palette.
- Artificial and genuine leather. Analogue is somewhat cheaper. But natural material emphasizes the status and position of the owner of furniture with such upholstery.
- Suede. Also considered a worthy option for upholstery. Practical enough material. No water is required for cleaning.
Modern materials for making furniture at the exhibition
Modern materials for the manufacture of furniture today in the specialized market are widespread in large quantities.
In order to get acquainted with the proposals of leading companies and present their own developments, it would be right to take part in the international industry exposition "Furniture" , which will soon take place at the Central Exhibition Complex "Expocentre".
A lot of specialists, designers, developers and owners of eminent enterprises will gather within the walls of the exhibition complex in order to communicate and conclude lucrative agreements on conducting joint mutually beneficial activities.
The Mebel Exhibition is a solid foothold on which a successful business can be built.